BTS is the epitome of a successful boy band. Hailing from South Korea, this group of seven musical artists originally got its start in the hip hop space before progressing to produce a wider range of music. Also known as Bangtan Boys, BTS is composed of the artists RM, Jin, Suga, J-Hope, Jimin, V, and Jungkook. RM is the leader of the group, however, each member has their own quirks and personality traits.
Here are 20 of the most interesting facts about BTS that you probably do not know yet.
1. RM Learned English Watching “Friends”: RM has admitted that he learned to perfect his grasp of the English language by watching the hit American comedy “Friends.” Known as the leader of the band, RM might have been on to something with this strategy as he is the only member to claim to speak fluent English.
2. The Band Provides a Boon to South Korea’s Economy: While it is no surprise to learn that BTS boasts considerable wealth, what many fans might not realize is how much money they pump into the economy of South Korea. Recent reports guesstimate that the band is responsible for an infusion of approximately $3.6 billion into the economy of their home country.
3. BTS Has Mastered Social Media: There is no doubt that BTS has mastered the art of reaching their fan base through the use of social media. BTS boasts the distinction of being the first Twitter account based in Korea to reach a whopping 10 million followers.
4. Yoongi Loves the Cartoon Character Kumamon: Yoongi is partial to the brown bear cartoon character known as Kumamon. The bear is the mascot representing the Kumamoto prefecture based in Japan, representing the country’s playful nature and welcoming spirit.
5. Origins of Jimin’s Scar: Jimin has a barely visible scar located just above his right eye. He once said in an interview that the scar is the result of being accidentally hit as a child.
6. Crossy Road Addicts: The entire band has admitted to once being addicted to playing the popular mobile game called Crossy Road. They even went so far as to tweet the game’s creators asking for merchandise, later posting pictures of them posing with the game’s stuffed chicks.
7. RM is Exceptionally Smart: RM once revealed that his IQ score on a test taken during his second year of high school was an impressive 148. This number would put him in the range where he would qualify to take the Mensa International Test.
8. Taehyung Likes to Snuggle When Sleeping: Taehyung has admitted that he likes to sleep hugging a pillow or whoever happens to be in the bed with him. He said that he needs to be snuggled up to something to sleep soundly with band members having pictures to prove it.
9. Inspiration for Song “Baepsae”: The song “Baepsae” is based on an old Korean proverb. Also known as “Silver Spoon,” the song warns that trying to keep up with others will only result in self-destruction and the inability to be true to yourself.
10. They Once Lived in a One-Room Apartment: Although it may seem hard to imagine now that they are living the best life with all of their wealth, the band was once barely scraping by trying to make ends meet. During this time, they lived together in a one-room apartment.
11. The Band Took 3 Years to Come to Fruition: BTS was not an overnight sensation, taking approximately three years to come together. Big Hit Entertainment held auditions for the group in 2010, however, the band did not make its debut until 2013.
12. V Reads to Fall Asleep: When battling bouts of insomnia, V said that he will turn to a book to read. He said that the words will quickly put him to sleep once he starts reading.
13. Suga’s Itty Bitty Waist: Suga is the envy of girls everywhere with his waist size that fluctuates between 28 and 29. Because of this tiny waist, he said it is often hard to find pants that fit him well.
14. Jimin Has the Most Nicknames: Jimin has no shortage of fun nicknames. Some of his most unique monikers include Mochi, Chimchim, Prince of Busan, Jiminie, and more.
15. Suga’s Past Life as a Rapper: Before joining up with BTS, Suga was an underground rapper bearing the stage name of Gloss. This previous experience made him a natural fit to take over the lead rapping duties for BTS when he came on board.
16. Jungkook Has a Microwave Phobia: Jungkook is mercifully teased by his fellow bandmates for being scared of the microwave. He claims that he worries that it will explode at any time.
17. BTS Was Almost Not the Name of This Band: Although it is difficult to imagine this group of seven going as anything other than BTS, there were other names in the running at one time. The group almost went by the name Big Kidz or Young Nation.
18. Jin Tried to Cut His Own Hair: Jin once went wild and tried to cut his own bangs. Not only did he cut his hair on his own, but he also filmed the process with his iPhone.
19. Jungkook’s Alternate Career Goals: If this musical career does not last forever, Jungkook has additional career aspirations. He has made it no secret that he dreams of becoming a tattoo artist, letting his creativity shine through in this artistic endeavor.
20. RM and Halsey’s Connection: While some fans are aware of the connection that RM has with American pop artist Halsey, what is most adorable is that the two have a secret handshake. There are even videos that detail this fun connection between the two pop culture superstars.